Fisheries Management Scotland was formed in 2016 as the single representative organisation for Scotland’s network of District Salmon Fishery Boards and Fisheries Trusts in Scotland. We became a Company Limited by Guarantee in January 2018.
Our Vision is to further consolidate our established role as the national freshwater fisheries management representative body in Scotland
Our Core Purpose is to represent, promote and support the interests of our members by:
1. Promoting and ensuring the best evidence-based fisheries management for the conservation of Scotland’s wild salmon and native freshwater fish, and the protection, improvement and development of their fisheries and the environment on which they depend.
2. Developing strategies to conserve Scotland’s wild salmon and native freshwater fish in the face of the climate emergency and biodiversity crisis.
3. Providing the primary interface between the different organisations and agencies who are working to reverse the current decline in populations of wild Atlantic salmon and native freshwater fish.
4. Providing an important interface between local fisheries managers and the Scottish Government.
We deliver our vision and core purpose through a series of objectives – these are:
1. Communicating and working with our members to facilitate best practice and good governance, in all aspects of the conservation and evidence-based management of salmon, sea trout and freshwater fish and fisheries;
2. Influencing relevant public policy, including development of coherent national policy and scientific strategies, to ensure appropriate evidence-based conservation and fisheries management;
3. Play a lead role in the coordination with relevant NGOs in order that the development of a sector-wide cohesive strategy can be developed and delivered;
4. Maintaining a constructive working relationship in support of our members with a range of key industry sectors to ensure that any potential impact on fish is appropriately mitigated;
5. Identifying and facilitating mechanisms for members to enable funding for local projects which benefit salmon, sea trout and freshwater fish and fisheries and their environment.
Find out more about our organisation on the pages below.